Friday, October 4, 2019

You Could Call Me Crazy...

Well, I guess I haven't really given much of an introduction to myself since starting this blog.  Better late than never I suppose.  There are two major parts of my life that best define who I am and what I'm all about.  First of all, I am running Cross Country and Track for High Point University.  Running has been a huge part of my life since high school, and it continues to be a motivator, teacher, sanctuary, and a reason to go to bed a few minutes earlier.  The sport is truly beautiful because of its range of influence on a person's life.  Running can knock you down (and kick you while you're there).  In these moments I learn the most about myself.  When things go south and I hit a wall, can't improve, don't perform or meet a standard, it can be devastating and frustrating.  However, this is when it is most important to reflect and adjust.  Without any re-evaluation it is impossible to get out of that frustrated state.  Running can build you up too.  When I crush a workout or run a big personal record, it makes getting up and running ten to twelve miles every day that much more worth it.  It makes toeing the line exhilarating.  It makes everything done in the dark when nobody is watching that much more rewarding.  Sounds crazy right?  Most people agree that distance runners have to be at least a little crazy to actually enjoy what we do.  Well, even my crazy teammates think I'm a madman.  Why?  That brings me to that promised second major part of my identity: after the summer of 2020 (hopefully) I'll be a Marine.  This past summer I completed my first six week session of Officer Candidates School - PLC Juniors.  These six weeks were some of the most challenging of my life, and I'm insane enough to go back for more! Such a daunting task would deter many people, but those who, like myself, have worked so hard to get to this point have already ingrained some semblance of the warrior ethos and Marine Corps values into their lives and personalities.  I personally have worked towards OCS and military service since my sophomore year of high school, so, quitting now just isn't an option.  Call me crazy if you want, but that's just fuel in the tank for me.

Keywords:
Running
Marines
Determination

No comments:

Post a Comment